Applying for CAIA Membership
I’ve passed the Level II exam. What are the other requirements for CAIA Membership?
- has the required experience of:
- holds a bachelor’s degree (or the equivalent) and has one (1) year of professional experience in the field of alternative investment analysis or other regulatory, banking, financial, or related field, OR
- has four (4) years of professional experience in the field of alternative investment analysis or other regulatory, banking, financial, or related field, OR
- is a CFA charter holder in good standing;
- provides the name and e-mail of two (2) people as professional references;
- agrees to abide by the CAIA Candidate and Member Agreement, including the use of the CAIA designation as an exclusive right for Full and Retired Members whose membership is in good standing and fully paid; and
- submits payment to join CAIAA after passing CAIAA’s Level II exam, and thereafter submits a renewal payment on or before the expiration date of May 31st.
Please keep in mind that we offer Affiliate Membership as an option if you do not meet the CAIA Membership requirements when you pass your Level II exam. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an Affiliate Membership.
Do I have to apply for CAIA Membership within a certain period after passing my Level II exams? If I wait too long, will I have to retake my exam?
- There are no time restrictions on the validity of your exam results. To enjoy a full year of benefits, we encourage you to apply for Membership as soon as possible after passing the CAIA exams.
Are there any disadvantages in delaying my Membership registration?
- With Membership, comes the exclusive right to use the marks. To enjoy a full year of benefits, including the use of the CAIA marks, we encourage you to apply for Membership as soon as possible after passing the CAIA exams.
Will I receive a certificate for completing the CAIA program?
- No, we do not issue certificates for completing the exams.
- Once your CAIA Membership has been approved, you will receive a physical CAIA Charter.
- See CAIA Charter information for details.
How much does Membership cost?
- A one-year Membership costs US$350 and a two-year Membership is US$650.
- CAIA also offers an Emerging Market rate for Membership. A one-year Emerging Market Membership costs US$100 and a two-year is US$200. At this time, the emerging market rate is based on the MSCI Emerging Market Index.
Do my references have to be CAIA Members?
Membership in the CAIA Association is not a requirement to serve as a reference.
The only requirement for your references is that they have relevant information regarding your professional experience.
Can you tell me who will be contacting my professional references, so I can alert them?
- We do not contact professional references on a routine basis. However, we reserve the right to contact all references if we perform a random audit.
I completed the Membership application but wanted to check my answers/make some changes. What should I do?
Once the Member application is completed, you will not be able to move back to review the information or to make any changes.
If you would like to change or review your professional reference information, please send your request to email@example.com.
All other updates may be made in your profile by logging into your CAIA account, then click on My Account in the top right corner of your screen to access your profile.