Self-Evaluation Tool (SET)
The SET is a required component of CAIA’s continuing education platform. The SET is a series of multiple-choice and essay questions designed to familiarize Members with CAIA curriculum updates.
What is the purpose?
- The questions are based on recent CAIA Level II curricula and are intended to provide Members with a means for assessing their understanding of current policy, practice, and/or topical developments in alternative investments.
- After completing the SET, each Member's SET results include an indication of whether each question was answered correctly, supplemented with explanatory notes and links to the corresponding CAIA readings for further review.
What is the process?
- The CAIA Association requires CAIA Members to complete the SET once every three years in order to fulfill CAIA’s continuing education requirement.
- While there is no "pass" requirement for maintaining the CAIA designation, CAIA expects Members to carefully review and answer the questions at minimum once every three years.
- Members will be asked to answer 20 questions (a combination of multiple-choice questions and constructed-response questions). This should take approximately 20 to 30 minutes.
What is the advantage?
- After completing the SET, CAIA Members are expected to review the questions to identify the areas in which they may have demonstrated a learning need.
- Each Member's SET results include an indication of whether each question was answered correctly, supplemented with explanatory notes and links to the corresponding CAIA readings for further review.
- Each time a Member goes through the process, the "requirement" clock will be reset for the next three years.