Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Initiative
Amplifying Voices and Impact
Research and data overwhelmingly demonstrate that diversity in people, backgrounds, and ideas deliver the best outcomes. CAIA Association is committed to building a more diverse and inclusive industry for the future.
With our Members working across all alternative investment sectors and many holding senior-level roles, CAIA Association has a unique opportunity to contribute its voice, amplify impact, and influence change.
Read our news release: CAIA Announces Creation of Independent DEI Council
Placing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at the Center of All We Do
- The Independent DEI Advisory Council: CAIA has formed an Independent DEI Advisory Council, comprised of CAIA Members and industry allocators to help guide the organization in understanding where it can make the greatest impact and leverage its unique strengths to create meaningful change.
- Diversity at the podium and within Chapter Leadership Committees: We are committed to “walking the walk” by ensuring CAIA Chapters are led by diverse teams of Members and that event speakers, panelists, and moderators include diverse voices, perspectives, and thought. CAIA partners with 100 Women in Finance, which offers excellent resources for diverse women speakers here.
- Next Generation Efforts: CAIA partners with innovative organizations to help accelerate the progress of programs that are creating diverse talent for the future. In 2020, we launched a scholarship initiative with WallStreetBound, a non-profit providing pathways for under-represented youth to careers on Wall Street through training, education, and mentorship.
- Advocacy through Education: With more than 12,000 Members across 100 countries, CAIA Association, our Chapters, and Members participate in dozens of DEI events, podcasts, and info sessions globally. We encourage you to join us to ask the tough questions, explore best practices, and seek insights through dialogue, debate, and discussion.
- Building Connections to Amplify Impact: CAIA joins forces with industry and corporate leaders who are committed to creating more diverse and inclusive cultures. Through association partnerships with organizations, such as the Women’s Association of Venture and Equity (WAVE) and the Kayo Institute, and through scholarship programs with more than 60 universities, we broaden access to education for under-represented groups.
CAIA CEO Bill Kelly was recently featured on The Fintech Files podcast, hosted by George Aliferis, where they discussed data and ethics in the investment management landscape. “A hallmark of a true professional, a true fiduciary, is doing the right thing when nobody's looking,” said Kelly, explaining that he added “diversity of people” into his blog’s tagline because it reflects his and CAIA’s commitment to diversity. Click here for the full podcast to hear more on data and ethics in investment management, and how Kelly connects this to the Hippocratic oath and talking Barbie dolls.
CAIA CEO Bill Kelly talks with Marisa Hall, Co-Head of The Thinking Ahead Institute, about what organizations can do to ensure the conversations around racism in our organization, our industry, and the world become actionable and sustainable. Listen in for Marisa's critical perspective.
Deborah McLean, CAIA's Managing Director of Global Relations, talks with organizations each taking the lead on closing the gap in both interest and success in the financial fields for women and girls. Amanda Pullinger, CEO, 100 Women in Finance, Janet Cowell, CEO, Girls Who Invest, and Lindsay Burton, Founder & President, Kayo Conference Series offer their insights. Watch the conversation here.
Named Forbes 30 under 30, a member of the World Economic Forum, and founder of a high frequency trading hedge fund launched from her MIT dorm room, Christina Qi, CAIA, opens up about her career, facing set-backs and adversity head on, and what propels her forward even on days when she admittedly “would rather be watching Netflix.” Part 1 of 2.
Part 2 of our 2-part conversation with Christina Qi, CAIA, Founding Partner of Domeyard Fund, Debbie McLean, Managing Director of CAIA's Global Relations learns more about Christina's path from an internationally-trained pianist to starting one of the most successful hedge funds.